Advice to Future Capstoners

So, to say this isn’t how I pictured my last semester of college going would be an understatement. When it stated, everything seemed normal and then slowly I started to hear more and more about the coronavirus and by the time spring break rolled around, I knew it would come here to Michigan too. And not a week back from spring break, we were already being told to pack our bags. To go home, by any means necessary. It was weird to be away from campus and still taking classes, especially the Capstone. For classes like this, where participation is key, I wasn’t sure how it was going to work. What if people were in different time zones? What if their internet sucked at home? What if, what if, what if? That’s all these days seem to be about. But, miraculously, everything worked out pretty well. It was a bit weird at first, seeing a bunch of boxes with what seemed like headshots of everyone. It’s harder to read body language and keep everyone in focus. I think, though, that despite not being in person, this class had one of the easiest transitions to a virtual world for me. Though we weren’t in person, it was still easy to communicate and share ideas. I think the hardest part was staying on track when being surrounded by family and, in my case, my boyfriend. But T managed to keep us all on track and enthused about our projects, which in light of everything that was happening, was no small task. So, despite being a very different ending from what I expected, I still think I would count this semester as a success.

Some general advice for this course, is to change! Change your project halfway through the semester if you’re just not passionate about it. Sure, you’ll have to make up the time, but even so I think you’ll find it much easier to start a project from scratch than trying to force yourself to finish a project that’s already half done. And, honestly, your project will probably turn out way better because readers can tell when a writer is and is not passionate about their work. I would also say, that no matter what your semester looks like, whether it’s in person or not, to not stretch yourself  too thin or try to do too much. Your first priority should always be your own sanity. And, yes, I may be biased because I’m a psychology major, but even so mental health affects everything. It affects your sleep, affects your physical health, affects your relationships, affects your work. So, trust me, know your limits. And finally, ask for help. If you need to crowd-source an idea or need help troubleshooting technological problems, then don’t be shy. Everyone in your class is in the same position you are, and trust me they’re interested in what you’re doing, just like you’re interested in what they’re doing.

Okay, I lied about that last bit being my last piece of advice. But here it is and trust me it may seem silly and maybe even a bit obvious but it’s probably the most important. HAVE FUN!!!

I hope you get everything you dreamt of out of the minor and that you find yourself writing more and more, and about a broader range of topics. Good luck and happy writing!

Kayla