everything you’ve wanted to know about capstone (or not)….going online, advice, etc.

The first thing I’m going to tell you is to take a deep breath. You got this. I’ll admit, I was pretty nervous about taking Capstone. The amount of work seemed incredibly daunting, and I didn’t feel like I had any ideas for projects that were interesting enough. That’s right, I said “interesting enough.” I wanted my capstone to be impressive and interesting for other people to read, interesting to other people who are going to see it. In other words, I wasn’t creating something for myself. Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was thinking that I had to stick with whatever project I was doing. Let me make something very clear: YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHANGE YOUR MIND! Halfway through the semester I did a complete 180 and guess what? The world didn’t end. Same thing happened to me in Gateway. I thought this semester was going to be about me just getting by, about me just doing a project to get it done. I ended up with a project that I am SO proud of. Changing my mind last minute was probably the smartest decision I’ve made in a while. So, this is me telling you it’s ok not to stick with something if you don’t like it. Trust me, it will pay off.

Lastly, what it was like to have Capstone online.

I’m going to be honest, I thought it would really suck. Something that I really value in the minor is the interaction I have with the professors and my classmates, and I thought losing that in person touch would suck. And yeah, it was a lot different over Zoom/Bluejeans, but we were all going through the same stuff, and it felt good having that sense of community, even if it was through a videochat. A HUGE shoutout to T for maintaining a sense of normalcy in this crazy time, and for being so kind, caring and understanding.

Other miscellaneous advice:

-Workshops might seem scary, but they are SO HELPFUL. Listen to your peers and your teacher. Since they’re not involved heavily in the project, they’re going to give you awesome advice

-Speak up in class! Read your work!

-Related to the first point, don’t be afraid to give feedback to your classmates when they ask for it

-Make a plan for your project, but it’s ok if you don’t end up following it. You will get everything done!!!!

You got this, everyone! If I could make it through, so can you.