on capstone & coronavirus

I’m coming to you on the eve of our virtual class showcase and eve-eve of my last day of undergrad to share my some of my personal experiences and advice for tackling the Minor in Writing Capstone!

When the semester began, I was anxious about getting through this course. I worried I wouldn’t find a project that interested and excited me. I stressed myself out thinking about the amount of work this project would require.

However, now that I am almost past the finish line, I am happy to report that this experience was nowhere near as stressful as I feared it would be, and I am emerging with a project I’m excited about sharing! I also genuinely enjoyed class, especially after Michigan went remote. Having live class gave my Tuesdays and Thursdays at least a little bit of structure and provided a welcomed opportunity for social interaction. I had fun!

Here are a few pieces of advice to make the most of your semester. Hopefully you’ll be back in the classroom by this point, but if not, do not fear!

• Make sure your project is something you’re excited to work on. One of my initial ideas was closely related to my major and would have been a cool project to add to my professional portfolio, but I don’t think I would have enjoyed working on this project nearly as much if I’d picked that idea. Don’t be afraid to do something you’re selfishly interested in. Don’t try to force a project that you’re not truly excited about finishing.
  • Engage T and your classmates often! For me, the community is what has made the Minor in Writing so fun and unique. Foster this sense of community by communicating frankly with your class about your ideas and providing thoughtful feedback on your peers’ ideas.
  • If you are relying on other people for content, get it as soon as you can. My project involved recording interviews, and once I got them done, I felt under control and had plenty of time left in the semester for editing and other aspects of the project. People can be flaky and everyone gets busier as the semester progresses, so plan for this and get the content you need early!
  • Take into account the type of worker you are when making your production plan. If you know yourself and know that you aren’t going to work on your project every few days or even every week, don’t designate a bunch of work for every single week in the production plan.
  • Don’t stress out and do your best to have fun! The stakes are relatively low and this project presents an opportunity to experiment and do something you’d never get the chance to do in another class. Seize it!

Whether you’re in the classroom or at home, everything will work out and you will finish your project and you will graduate. Keep this in mind and have fun!