In a labor intensive project, I gain a lot of energy in the beginning. It is easy for me to get started because I have so many ideas to begin with. For my Beyoncé Capstone project, I felt like the energizer bunny when I started. Now, I feel like I’m all out of batteries.
In short: I’m losing steam.
I have most of my content done, I am just currently at the wrap up stage. I have all this research, reflection, and design, but I need to sum up my main points. Conclusions are something I always struggle with. Sometimes, they end up just mostly lacking.
When I was abroad in Israel, I took a film class where I needed to compare two Israeli films, Sallah Shabati and Broken Wings. My body paragraphs were so strong, but here is my conclusion:
“Israeli films often depict families to be supportive and headstrong. Both Sallah Shabati and Broken Wings use the theme of family throughout their storyline to convey the value in Israeli society. Both families are broken in some way, but manage to overcome boundaries to have a better life. While both films have negative plot lines, they end up with a positive future in the end.”
In my opinion, this context is a bunch of fluff and required sentences. I really want to avoid this in my conclusion for my project. I’ve put in weeks of work, this needs to end with a bang.
When I finally chose to confront this issue, I decided to make a game plan.
I took a break.
Many people forget to take a break in order to write better and grow. I took a few days to step away from my project, and then I was able to start the conclusion. It’s coming along well, and I’m happy I was able to look away from Beyoncé for a few days to hone in on my main goal.