Just as every other media and digital related project I have attempted to carry out, this project has proven to be much more difficult than I initially thought. I have found that the DSLR camera that I actually own does not have a time lapse feature on it. In fact, you need to connect a digital remote to the camera itself in order to take incremented time lapse photos. With that, I have found that the software I initially intended to use doesn’t transition through photos like I hoped it would and my mac’s “protection wall” doesn’t all for me to download alternative, slightly less credited programs.
However, I have already started my trouble shooting process, so these steps backwards in my project have somewhat become steps in a forward direction. I have decided that I will cave and rent a camera and automatic time-interval remote and I will be compiling the taken photos in iMovie on one of the schools Apple desktops (as my laptop cannot handle the addition of another however-many hundreds of photos). At that, I will be making a trip into the LSA media center in the MLB building early this week to test rent a camera and practice making a time lapse film of the front yard of my campus house, or maybe even the 3rd floor of the art architecture building. I will run a quick moc-up with this camera so when the time comes and I have an actual photo sequence that is usable for my remediation project, it will only take a couple of hours to compile the information into the iMovie program, adjust the settings, and have a completed film. I will be using the schools resources for much more of this project than I originally thought I would need to, but that is a good thing!
As well, I have been hard at work to find a location to make this time lapse film happen. I have a bit of a time crunch, as at the end of this week, a new exhibition will be set up in the East Liberty Annex which is where I had originally planned to take the video. I am in contact with a professor who has two chalkboards that I intend to use for the project and they are conveniently already located at the East Liberty Annex. Her name is Anya Sirota, and I worked with her last year on her O.N.E Mile Detroit art and architecture instillation project. She used these chalkboards as her presentation boards when she was making parts of her project public during Taubman college’s “Research Through Making” exhibition. I, again sometime early this week, will be making my way down to the annex to see if the boards and the space itself fits my vision. If not, then on to the next plan.
For now though, I’ve added a mock-up flipgram that I created using photos that I took of my dog after she went swimming in the rive by my house a couple years ago. Just dipping my toes into the possibilities of my projects potential by exploring different media programs so I can make an educated decision on what is easy to use and most aesthetically pleasing in accordance to my vision.